Health Risks of Pediatric Sleep Apnea
- Chronic snoring
- Interrupted breathing
- Sporadic bedwetting
- Behavioral issues
- Daytime sleepiness
- Restless sleep
- Mouth breathing
Sleep apnea can affect any age and can be accompanied by serious health risks. It is important to contact a sleep doctor to thoroughly evaluate your child’s symptoms and correct this disorder as soon as possible to avoid these risks:
- Childhood Obesity: Consistent fatigue may cause a decrease in daily physical activity which may lead to unhealthy weight gain.
- Heart Issues: As children grow, they become more at risk for developing high blood pressure and other heart problems.
- Development Complications: Learning deficiencies and behavioral issues may arise at school and at home due to lack of sleep.
- Growth Deficiency: Children with sleep apnea may not develop the proper growth hormones and development may suffer.
- Adult Sleep Apnea Risks: If pediatric sleep apnea is not treated, further health complications may include high blood pressure, heart failure, heart attack, stroke, diabetes and depression.
At Sleep MD NYC, Dr. Shukla specializes in the treatment of pediatric sleep apnea and other childhood sleep disorders. As a parent, it is important to note down all of the visible signs of this disorder before you come in for the consultation. During the initial consultation, Dr. Shukla will review these symptoms, perform a short physical exam, evaluate your child’s medical history and diagnose the sleep disorder. If necessary, Dr. Shukla may recommend a sleep study to further assess the symptoms as your child sleeps. The sleep study can be done in our office or at home. Below are some of our top pediatric sleep solutions:
- Oral device
- CPAP device
- Tonsillectomy Procedure
- Adenoidectomy Procedure
If you feel that your child may be suffering from sleep apnea or a sleep disorder, contact Dr.Shukla and his friendly staff at Sleep MD NYC to book your appointment today.